little miss messy hair
better like umbrellas

the fun has been had

Just a few notes on the upgrade to 2.6. I had waited a while (after reading some privacy concerns with 2.5) to update. I was in wordpress 2.2.3, so two full point releases behind 2.6 (there was no 2.4). If you already weathered the upgrade to 2.5, you probably will not have the issues I did and perhaps a better path would have been to upgrade to 2.5 and then to 2.6 instead. Not sure, I didn’t try it.

Anyway, since after the upgrade you (or at least i) cannot edit category names through the category listing in the admin interface, David Cumps had a nice way of editing the categories through a web interface after the update by specifying each category id (see previous post). However, since I was already mucking around my database anyway, and had my list of old categories in front of me, I just edited the database directly. Definitely a matter of personal preference. In any case, if you are going to muck around the database, make a back-up first (of course) and then be aware of how the old categories map to the new taxonomy:

format = tablename.fieldname
The table wp_terms is basically the replacement for wp_categories
wp_terms.id – essentially the equivalent of wp_categories.cat_ID — use this to know which category you are dealing with.
wp_terms.name – essentially the equivalent of wp_categories.cat_name — the term / category name as it will appear on your site.

wp_terms.slug – essentially the equivalent of wp_categories.category_nicename — the URL-friendly category name, i.e. lowercase, no spaces or ‘special’ characters.

wp_categories had a parent id, this is now managed in the wp_term_taxonomy table, as is the count of posts per term, or category. I did not have to edit these at all.

The table wp_term_relationships replaces wp_post2cat. I did not have to edit any of this data.
wp_term_relationships.object_id – essentially the equivalent of wp_post2cat.post_ID
wp_term_relationships.term_taxonomy_id – essentially the equivalent of wp_post2cat.category_id, but NOT the same. Note that it refers to the term_taxonomy_id and not the term id. These are sometimes the same, but not always.

This is all information most likely covered in the 2.5 documentation, but since so little is required to fix the category issue, I thought i’d just mention it here in case any of you are as far behind as i was.

spill it